Volunteer at the Library
We're always looking for new volunteers to help us with projects large and small. Whether it's assisting staff at library programs, shelf-reading, putting up displays-- any help we have from the community makes our library a better place for everyone in LeClaire.
Teens are able to earn service learning credits for Pleasant Valley School District at the library. Please contact our Youth Services Coordinator Rebecca Mecartea.
There are two ways to earn service hours at the Library:
- Participate in TAG-- This is the Library's Teen Advisory Group.
- Help with Children's Programs/Individual Projects-- Lend an extra hand at children's programs (like Crafternoon or LEGO Club) or work on individual projects like craft preparation, decorating, shelf reading, shelving, & more.
There are two different ways to volunteer time at the library for adults:
To set up a volunteer schedule, or for questions about volunteer opportunities, contact Circulation Manager Melita Tunnicliff.
You can help people find books at the library! Our visitors appreciate well-organized shelves. By adopting a shelf or stack, you can help make sure that items orderly and in their proper place, improving patrons’ experience tremendously. Materials at the LeClaire Library see a lot of use and if an item is misplaced, it can be lost for a long time. Library staff can assign you a section to adopt based on need, or you may choose a section that appeals to you: a favorite novelist or two, or an area of non-fiction that you particularly enjoy such as cookbooks or the Civil War.
- Read spine labels, and re-shelve books that are not in proper order.
- Shift books as necessary to ensure easy access and prevent overcrowding.
- Requires ability to reach to the top shelves and bend to the bottom shelves.
- Requires a good eye for detail.
- Familiarity with alphabetical filing and/or the Dewey Decimal System is a plus. Brief training will be provided by staff.
- Hours are flexible—come when you want! Time commitment may vary based on the size of your section. 1-2 hours per month recommended.
Got a green thumb? We need you! Individuals or small groups are needed to help maintain the landscaping at the library. Duties include regular weeding, mulching, pruning, and ongoing maintenance. Volunteers should have some basic knowledge of gardening and the ability to work independently.
- Keep the property and landscaped areas around the building free of weeds and trash.
- Pull weeds, water plants, rake, sweep sidewalks, prune plants as needed.
- Physical stamina is required—bending, lifting, stooping, standing, and walking.
- Knowledge of plants or ability to learn plant maintenance skills required.
- Must demonstrate caution in using garden tools such as clippers, rakes, and shovels.
- Hours may vary due to seasonal need and weather. 1-2 hours a month recommended.